A life-threatening storm is set to hit Oman after traveling over the Arabian sea on May 25. Learn more about Tropical Cyclone Mekunu, which could bring over a year’s worth of rain in one day.
The entire country of Oman is in grave danger as Tropical Cyclone Mekunu travels over the Arabian sea. The cyclone is set to bring powerful landfall that hasn’t been seen in that part of the Arabian Peninsula since the 1950s, according to the Weather Channel. As of late morning on May 25, local time (Oman is eight hours ahead of United States ET), the cyclone had maximum sustained winds of 105mph, as an “extremely severe cyclonic storm” by the Indian Meteorological Department — the equivalent of a Category 2 hurricane.
The center of the storm is currently about 85 miles south-southwest of Salalah, Oman — the third-largest city in the country, with a population of over 300,000 people. It’s also a popular tourist destination. Meteorologists are expecting damaging winds as the center of the storm reaches southwest Oman. Power outages are likely, as well as storm surge flooding in low-lying coastal areas. Life-threatening flash floods are likely in normally dry areas. Wave heights of 26 to 29 feet are expected off the coasts of Dhofar and Al-Wusta Governorates, according to the Sultanate’s Public Authority for Civil Aviation (PACA).
Five inches of rain is expected in southwest Oman, far eastern Yemen, and southeast Saudi Arabia through Sunday, May 27. This is the equivalent of a year’s worth of rain for the area, or more.
Seventeen people are currently missing on Socotra Island in the Arabian Sea, where the cyclone has already hit. The missing persons were in boats that capsized or or vehicles that were washed away in floods, according to Yemen’s pro-government SABA news agency. Yemen’s government has called it a “disaster zone.” A Yemeni man on Socotra, who spoke to the Weather Channel on the condition of anonymity, said floods are everywhere, washing away cars. “More than 200 families have been displaced from their homes in the suburbs of Hadibu and areas close to the northern coast. Two Indian cargo ships have gone missing, losing five of their crew members.”
- Yom Kippur 2018: When Does It Start, How Long Does It Last & Everything Else To Know
- Winter Storm Riley: When The Next ‘Bomb Cyclone’ Is Hitting East Coast & Everything Else To Know
- Kwanzaa 2017: When It Starts, How Long It Lasts & Everything Else You Need To Know
- Nollywood actor, Jim Iyke has just defined the word ‘STYLE’ the way he understands it and it’s a beautifully worded and intelligently written piece. Read below… Whether I’m rocking an overpriced jacket on the streets of champs elysees or rocking rubber flip flops soaking up the adulation of the street in the slums of kibera, it matters none. Unshaven for weeks with morning breathe rocking a palm oil stained old tee telling bad jokes with my sisters in my man cave or well groomed in handmade rare leather loafers makes no difference. It changes nothing. I am the confluence of global cultural diversity. I’ve meticulously and resiliently self tutored its complexity into my DNA by trial and error. The originality is singular only the substance is duplicable. God tailored my entirety for one entity; ME. It’s a comprise far from not only what you wear. It is how you think. Your principles. Your choices; costs and effects. Your idiosyncrasy. It’s in the roots imbibed by the man that sired you and men that mentored you. Everything else around me is an Accessory. I am the essence. I give it life. No brand, address, tribe, race, religion, creed, or ideology can define me. God created me this way eternities before my birth. I cannot pretend to be anything else even if I wanted to. I’ve tried and failed woefully in the past. I am ridiculously comfortable and apt being me. Rules become inapplicable, even redundant. It’s an attitude. A way of life. Perception is the window. It’s orchestrated conditioning to misinform you by disinforming you. Find your purpose and be informed. It is your open weapon. I know people with $100 dollars budget walk into a room and everything stand still. I’ve seen people with $100k budget that make it look like a painful process and what is more cant hold a convo with a smart 8 year old. It can’t be bought. It is and will always be priceless. Once you’ve figured out this truth, you will strive for a reach beyond your grasp. A consciousness and profound understanding of self. It is the mastery of your space. Your individuality. Your flair. It’s in all of us whether dormant or dominant. Find it. Train it. Fail it. Win it. Own it. Ostracize it. This is STYLE. This is how I understand it. Now how friggin DOPE is that!
- 5 things you should know about Yoruba actor, Yomi Gold