Joe McElderry evacuated a theatre after receiving a “suspicious letter”.
The former X Factor winner was set to perform at The Empire Theatre in Consett, County Durham on Friday 27, April but pulled out of the show last minute.
In a statement on his Twitter, the 26 year old said that he only discovered the threat moments before he was set to go on stage.
“Myself and my management team were totally unaware of any threat to me before last night’s show,” he wrote.
“At 7.26pm last night I was informed of a suspicious letter that had been intercepted by Consett theatre management three days previous and I learned of some of its content.
“Upon hearing this I immediately told the theatre manager that the show would not be going ahead and to get everyone out of the building ASAP.”
The X Factor winner Sam Bailey sends fans into meltdown as she appears to defy the years in a flawless pantomime selfie [Wenn/Twitter]
Fans were quick to support The Jump winner, who was mentored by Cheryl when he appeared on ITV show The X Factor in 2009.
“You did the best thing for everyone, it must have been a scary situation. Stay safe, lots of love,” one fan wrote.
Another added: “Well done Joe, sensible decision. Nothing is worth putting yourself and the people around you in danger.”
He later added that his next show would be going ahead, thanking fans for their support and understanding.
After Joe’s performance was cancelled, his management put a statement out through his Twitter.
“Due to an incident beyond our control last night at The Empire Theatre Consett, Joe’s performance was cancelled. All ticket info please contact the box office.”