Palm Sunday falls on March 25 this year! If you’re unfamiliar with the Christian celebration, we’ve got you covered. Here’s everything you need to know about Palm Sunday.
Today, March 25, is Palm Sunday. If you’re unsure what the Christian holiday is or need a refresher on its importance, don’t worry. Here’s everything you should know about Palm Sunday as the Holy Week in the Christian liturgical calendar.
1. It initiates the Christian Holy Week. Holy Week is the last week of Lent and leads into Easter, although Easter itself isn’t included in the period as it begins the season of Eastertide. Other days celebrated throughout the seven day stretch include Holy Wednesday (Spy Wednesday), Maundy Thursday (Holy Thursday), Good Friday (Holy Friday), and Holy Saturday.
2. The date changes year to year. As you’re probably aware, Easter doesn’t land on the same Sunday every year — which means Palm Sunday doesn’t either. While the celebration doesn’t have a set date, it’s always one week before Easter. This year the celebration lands on March 25, 2018.
3. It commemorates Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem. About a week before his resurrection, Jesus Christ rode a donkey into Jerusalem, and the celebrating people there laid down small branches of trees in front of him, according to the Gospels.
4. Many Christian denominations participate in worship services. Lutheran, Methodist, Catholic, Reformed, Presbyterian, and Anglican Churches, among other Christian denominations, will attend Mass, but there’s typically also a procession or parade that people attend in celebration.
5. Palm branches factor into the celebration. Palm branches are widely recognized as a symbol of peace and victory, and were thrown before the feet of conquering heroes in biblical times. Today, many Christians participate in a procession that involves carrying palm fronds. However, in some places were palm branches are hard to obtain, they’re replaced with branches of other native trees such as yew, olive, box, and willow.
- 5 things you should know about Yoruba actor, Yomi Gold
- Prince Philip is absent from Easter Sunday church service after cancelling appearance last week due to hip problem
- Nollywood actor, Jim Iyke has just defined the word ‘STYLE’ the way he understands it and it’s a beautifully worded and intelligently written piece. Read below… Whether I’m rocking an overpriced jacket on the streets of champs elysees or rocking rubber flip flops soaking up the adulation of the street in the slums of kibera, it matters none. Unshaven for weeks with morning breathe rocking a palm oil stained old tee telling bad jokes with my sisters in my man cave or well groomed in handmade rare leather loafers makes no difference. It changes nothing. I am the confluence of global cultural diversity. I’ve meticulously and resiliently self tutored its complexity into my DNA by trial and error. The originality is singular only the substance is duplicable. God tailored my entirety for one entity; ME. It’s a comprise far from not only what you wear. It is how you think. Your principles. Your choices; costs and effects. Your idiosyncrasy. It’s in the roots imbibed by the man that sired you and men that mentored you. Everything else around me is an Accessory. I am the essence. I give it life. No brand, address, tribe, race, religion, creed, or ideology can define me. God created me this way eternities before my birth. I cannot pretend to be anything else even if I wanted to. I’ve tried and failed woefully in the past. I am ridiculously comfortable and apt being me. Rules become inapplicable, even redundant. It’s an attitude. A way of life. Perception is the window. It’s orchestrated conditioning to misinform you by disinforming you. Find your purpose and be informed. It is your open weapon. I know people with $100 dollars budget walk into a room and everything stand still. I’ve seen people with $100k budget that make it look like a painful process and what is more cant hold a convo with a smart 8 year old. It can’t be bought. It is and will always be priceless. Once you’ve figured out this truth, you will strive for a reach beyond your grasp. A consciousness and profound understanding of self. It is the mastery of your space. Your individuality. Your flair. It’s in all of us whether dormant or dominant. Find it. Train it. Fail it. Win it. Own it. Ostracize it. This is STYLE. This is how I understand it. Now how friggin DOPE is that!
- Patty Hearst: 5 Things To Know About The Heiress’ Kidnapping Before CNN Special
- NXIVM: 5 Things To Know About Sex Cult Allison Mack Was Allegedly Helping Run Before Arrest