Lagos has the capacity to be a dominant player in water sports like water polo, kayak and canoeing, top tourism expert, Ms. Ivie Aruviereh, has said.
Aruviereh said with the coastal nature of the state, the government could nurture water sports athletes, who would compete favourably with their counterparts at international competitions.
She added that the government could generate revenue from water sports, if the tourism potential in the water in the state was properly harnessed.
‘’As an expert in the industry, I am advocating for an integrated plan to turn our waterways into tourism attractions by introducing cruise lines like they have in Egypt, where you have this unbelievable and paradisal trip in cruise liners, with all the attendant fun, and along the way, you also provide a fertile ground for the introduction of water sports, which will engage our youths and a nightlife fun-trip,” she stated.
‘’I am surprised that the Lagos State Government has not seen the massive income that they can make from the water that surrounds the state. Lagos is an aquatic state and in other climes, they would have made a lot of income by doing simple things like turning the waterways into tourist attractions.
‘’Our government has not invested in sports and tourism. Nothing is stopping Lagos State from having cruises on the seas. If Governor Akinwunmi Ambode can come up with two cruise liners, the face of tourism and water sports will change. We will do it and cater for different sections of the public.
‘’We can even have boat kayak, regatta and a whole lot of other attractive side attractions that will jerk up the financial position of Lagos State.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
- Cross River: State government set to honour sports legends Hogan Bassey, Orok Oyo, others
- Lagos, Sports ministry, NFF mourn Deji Tinubu
- Officials wrangle over maintenance of Lagos sports facilities
- Snooker: Dominant Robertson earns Fu clash
- Nollywood actor, Jim Iyke has just defined the word ‘STYLE’ the way he understands it and it’s a beautifully worded and intelligently written piece. Read below… Whether I’m rocking an overpriced jacket on the streets of champs elysees or rocking rubber flip flops soaking up the adulation of the street in the slums of kibera, it matters none. Unshaven for weeks with morning breathe rocking a palm oil stained old tee telling bad jokes with my sisters in my man cave or well groomed in handmade rare leather loafers makes no difference. It changes nothing. I am the confluence of global cultural diversity. I’ve meticulously and resiliently self tutored its complexity into my DNA by trial and error. The originality is singular only the substance is duplicable. God tailored my entirety for one entity; ME. It’s a comprise far from not only what you wear. It is how you think. Your principles. Your choices; costs and effects. Your idiosyncrasy. It’s in the roots imbibed by the man that sired you and men that mentored you. Everything else around me is an Accessory. I am the essence. I give it life. No brand, address, tribe, race, religion, creed, or ideology can define me. God created me this way eternities before my birth. I cannot pretend to be anything else even if I wanted to. I’ve tried and failed woefully in the past. I am ridiculously comfortable and apt being me. Rules become inapplicable, even redundant. It’s an attitude. A way of life. Perception is the window. It’s orchestrated conditioning to misinform you by disinforming you. Find your purpose and be informed. It is your open weapon. I know people with $100 dollars budget walk into a room and everything stand still. I’ve seen people with $100k budget that make it look like a painful process and what is more cant hold a convo with a smart 8 year old. It can’t be bought. It is and will always be priceless. Once you’ve figured out this truth, you will strive for a reach beyond your grasp. A consciousness and profound understanding of self. It is the mastery of your space. Your individuality. Your flair. It’s in all of us whether dormant or dominant. Find it. Train it. Fail it. Win it. Own it. Ostracize it. This is STYLE. This is how I understand it. Now how friggin DOPE is that!