The bloc are adding an extra £6billion demand to their vast Brexit bill to account for the inflated cost of pension liabilities for retired eurocrats.
But experts and diplomats have told the Times the amount currently being demanded is being calculated with an unnecessarily high rate as the bloc attempt to bleed the nation dry in negotiations.
The current total pension liability bill the bloc are demanding is set at roughly £9.8billion – but if staff contributions and historical investment rates are used in calculations the figure falls to as little as £3.5billion.
A source close to the talks said: “Paying pensions for well-heeled Eurocrats is one thing but doing it at a rip-off rate is toxic and could be too nasty a medicine for the British public to swallow.
“Is it really worth jeopardising everything for this?”
Theresa May is set to discuss the issues today as she attends a summit dinner with EU leaders amid the negotiation deadlock.
But hot on her heels Jeremy Corbyn is also set to travel to Brussels to meet with the Chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier and president of the European Council Antonio Tajani.
The Labour leader will attempt to thrust himself into the spotlight when he meets three Prime Ministers and Mr Barnier on Thursday, according to Sky News.
But it will be a blow to Theresa May as she will also be travelling to meet European chiefs to carry out crucial talks in a bid to push Brexit talks forward.
Mrs May is facing a host of challenges, on the exit deal in parliament, the divorce bill, and other issues.
In addition, she must now contend with the opposition leader trying to upstage her.
In recent weeks, EU bosses were said to be ramping up talks with Mr Corbyn and snubbing Mrs May over concerns she will soon be ousted.
Brussels is deeply concerned about the in-fighting gripping the Tories and are now seeking assurances from Mr Corbyn that he will honour any promises that he made on Brexit if he sweeps to power.
A source told The Daily Telegraph: “Corbyn is beginning to be taken seriously in Brussels. He has been a mystery on European affairs through the referendum and since. People didn’t quite know what he wants or what he thinks but that is changing.
“You have to believe that the other side’s negotiating position is genuine and you have to believe that whatever you agree along the way is going to be implemented in the future.”
Sources said that EU bosses have had a “significant change in tone” towards Labour.
- THEY WON’T STOP! Unelected Lords DEMAND second Brexit vote – with even CHILDREN given say
- Nollywood actor, Jim Iyke has just defined the word ‘STYLE’ the way he understands it and it’s a beautifully worded and intelligently written piece. Read below… Whether I’m rocking an overpriced jacket on the streets of champs elysees or rocking rubber flip flops soaking up the adulation of the street in the slums of kibera, it matters none. Unshaven for weeks with morning breathe rocking a palm oil stained old tee telling bad jokes with my sisters in my man cave or well groomed in handmade rare leather loafers makes no difference. It changes nothing. I am the confluence of global cultural diversity. I’ve meticulously and resiliently self tutored its complexity into my DNA by trial and error. The originality is singular only the substance is duplicable. God tailored my entirety for one entity; ME. It’s a comprise far from not only what you wear. It is how you think. Your principles. Your choices; costs and effects. Your idiosyncrasy. It’s in the roots imbibed by the man that sired you and men that mentored you. Everything else around me is an Accessory. I am the essence. I give it life. No brand, address, tribe, race, religion, creed, or ideology can define me. God created me this way eternities before my birth. I cannot pretend to be anything else even if I wanted to. I’ve tried and failed woefully in the past. I am ridiculously comfortable and apt being me. Rules become inapplicable, even redundant. It’s an attitude. A way of life. Perception is the window. It’s orchestrated conditioning to misinform you by disinforming you. Find your purpose and be informed. It is your open weapon. I know people with $100 dollars budget walk into a room and everything stand still. I’ve seen people with $100k budget that make it look like a painful process and what is more cant hold a convo with a smart 8 year old. It can’t be bought. It is and will always be priceless. Once you’ve figured out this truth, you will strive for a reach beyond your grasp. A consciousness and profound understanding of self. It is the mastery of your space. Your individuality. Your flair. It’s in all of us whether dormant or dominant. Find it. Train it. Fail it. Win it. Own it. Ostracize it. This is STYLE. This is how I understand it. Now how friggin DOPE is that!
- Brexit: Cabinet ministers urge May to demand MORE EU concessions – 'It MUST be possible'
- ‘RIDICULOUS!’ Corbyn attacks May over Brexit progress – as no deal looks even more likely
- Brexit LIVE: May faces vote TROUNCING – even MORE MPs now against PM’s Brexit deal