Negotiations resumed in Brussels on Monday morning but it is unclear if progress has been made on the all-important backstop.
Today the EU27 ambassadors will gather after it emerged Dublin was drawing up plans for a hard Brexit with increased patrols along the border and the revival of checkpoints not used since the dark days of the Troubles.
The ambassadors have been told to “expect an update” on the Irish backstop stalemate, Politico Europe reports.
Insiders claim Dublin’s Irish border preparations are “a lot more advanced” than was being acknowledge publicly.
One insider said: “Things are a lot more advanced than people are saying in public in every aspect in terms of preparing for a no-deal Brexit.
“There are already customs turnoffs. You go up the M1 to Belfast and you see the cut-out that is still there from 20 years ago where people were brought in for customs checks, and it’s probably developing more on existing things.”
There has also been a surge in the number of British residents applying for Irish passports, official figures show.
Applications have nearly doubled since the EU referendum as people try to secure the right to move and work freely in the bloc after Brexit.
EU ambassadors are awaiting an update on the Irish border issue
People with Irish parents or grandparents are entitled to apply for an Irish passport.
The country’s embassy in London received 44,900 applications from January to June, putting this year on course to be the busiest so far of the post-Brexit rush.
Britons travelling in Europe could face long delays in airport queues if there is a no-deal Brexit.
SCROLL DOWN FOR LIVE UPDATES
EU officials including Michel Barnier visit the Irish border
10:30pm update: UK Border Force to open two new processing centres for ‘high risk’ customs
After Brexit, the two centres will be opened in Hayes and Milton Keynes, which will handle “high risk” customs arrivals.
Director of Border Force Paul Lincoln said they were working to “minimise the potential disruption that may occur at the border and ensure a smooth and orderly exit.
He said: “We’re implementing a number of different projects, which are both at the border but also to minimise activity at the border, to include inland clearance sites.”
8:30pm update: The Department for Exiting the European Union plays down the November 21 deal date
Dominic Raab’s department has said there was “no set date” for the negotiations to conclude and said Raab’s November 21 date related to the possibility of appearing before the Brext Select Committee.
Shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer tweeted: “This must be one of the quickest u-turns in political history. ??@DominicRaab? told MPs that a Brexit deal would be done by the end of November. Three hours later his own department was forced to correct the record. What a mess.”
7:30pm update: Foreign Office will help Brits stranded by a no-deal Brexit says Hunt
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has said UK diplomatic outposts are ready to cope with a no-deal Brexit.
He told MP at the Commons Foreign Affairs Committee: “We are very engaged in that process. It is one of 11 no-deal work streams that we are responsible for at the FCO.
“And our posts are absolutely ready for what might happen.”
4:30pm update: Dominic Raab says EU Withdrawal Deal could be done within 3 weeks
Raab has said he expects a deal on the withdrawal to be completed by November 21.
The Brexit Secretary told a cross-party committee of MPs that the end of negotiations is now “firmly in sight”.
Mr Raab said: “I would be happy to give evidence to the committee when a deal is finished and currently expect November 21 to be suitable.”
3:30pm update: SNP MP warns supporting a People’s Vote could be problematic for any future referendums
The SNP MP Pete Wishart has said having a second referendum on UK’s membership in the EU could present “all sorts of risks to a future independence referendum or nothing”.
Mr Wishart said a second referendum could make it more difficult to resist calls for another ballot in Scotland if nationalists were to win another independence referendum.
Dominic Raab has said a deal will be completed by November 21
1.44pm update: Brexit deal “not world’s biggest challenge”
Britain’s richest man claims negotiating Brexit should not be “the world’s biggest challenge” and said it should be possible to reach a deal in a “sensible” way.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe, 66, chief executive of petrochemical giant Ineos, said he did not like the “drama” surrounding Britain’s exit from the EU.
Sir Jim, who topped the Sunday Times Rich List earlier this year with a fortune of £21 billion, was knighted at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday.
He said: “I don’t think it should have been the world’s biggest challenge to negotiate Brexit really because you’re just taking sovereignty back.
“You’re trying to organise a sensible trade deal … and, you know, we’ve got the old relationships.
“We stepped in in the war and sacrificed a lot of people and a lot of our economy, on our own behalf, but also on other people’s behalf in Europe.
“I don’t see why reaching an agreement with our European colleagues should be so difficult.
“We ought to just be able to get there in a sensible way.
“There’s a lot of drama around, which I don’t like.”
12.40pm update: Philip Hammond could be crowned “King of Brexit”
Chancellor Philip Hammond could join Prime Minister Theresa May as the “king and queen of Brexit”, Tory MP Peter Bone told the Commons.
Brexiteer Mr Bone praised the Chancellor for a “Brexit dividend Budget” to a quizzical grimace from Mr Hammond.
Mr Bone went on to claim a no-deal Brexit would allow the Chancellor to ditch the £39 billion divorce fee and usher in a new era of better public services without raising taxes.
He said: “I always thought the Chancellor was a bit iffy about Brexit but how wrong I was.
“This week he announced a Brexit dividend Budget if we leave the EU with no deal.
“He will be able to cut tariffs, abolish VAT on certain products and reallocate the £39 billion he was going to give to the EU to this country, cutting taxes, improving public services and lowering debt.
“Prime Minister, I always thought you could be the queen of Brexit but did you ever think the Chancellor could be the king?”
12.02am update: Prime Minister meets business leaders
Theresa May and Chancellor Philip Hammond are meeting about 120 business leaders and major investors as fears of no-deal Brexit continue to grow.
The agenda is dominated by Brexit and the budget, which included spending pledges and higher taxes on technology firms.
With five months to secure a deal before Britain is due to leave the European Union, business leaders are demanding certainty over the kind of trade terms the divorce will deliver.
Negotiations have stalled over a disagreement on a fallback plan to avoid a hard border in Ireland if a future trading relationship is not in place in time.
The latest meeting with business leaders follows a conference call the Prime Minister held with a similar-sized group of business leaders earlier this month.
Theresa May is meeting business leaders
11.29am update: David clarifies position on Brexit deal
Former Brexit Secretary David Davis has posted a tweet clarifying what he thinks about Theresa May’s chances of getting a Brexit deal.
He was reported to have told a meeting that “terror will win” in the Brexit negotiations and that Britain would succumb to the “irrational fear” of a “no deal” divorce.
But he has now made clear he believes any agreement based on Mrs May’s unpopular Chequers proposals will not get past MP’s when the hold their “meaningful vote” in the Commons.
Mr Davies tweeted: “For the avoidance of doubt I believe the PM will get a deal with the EU but anything based on the Chequers plan or one that keeps us in the Customs Union will not pass the Commons.
“Time to revert to free trade deal suggested by EU?”
10.38am update: Bonfire group choose Boris Johnson as “Celebrity Guy”
A huge effigy of Boris Johnson has been unveiled as Edenbridge Bonfire Society’s 2018 “Celebrity Guy”.
Created by artist Andrea Deans, the giant Boris is depicted eating a piece of EU-themed cake while wearing his trademark boarding shorts and cycle helmet as well buses at his feet bearing the controversial £350 million Brexit campaign claim.
The effigy will be burned at the Edenbridge Bonfire Society’s annual bonfire celebrations on Saturday night.
A huge effigy of Boris Johnson go up in flames on Saturday night
10.04am update: Former Brexit minister slams “unaccountable” European Commission
Former Brexit minister David Jones said one of the key reasons behind the Brexit vote was because British people became aware of the “absolute unaccountability” of the European Commission.
The Tory Brexit supporter ridiculed the European Union “gravy train” before launching a furious rant at the European Commission.
Speaking to Express.co.uk, Mr Jones said: “It’s always characterised as a gravy train but that is because it is a gravy train.
“You’ve got MEPs who are given so-called expenses payments on top of their salaries which they can spend any way that they want.
“And I think that this is just characteristic of the European Union as a whole. There is an immense waste.”
9.16am update: Tens of thousands sign petition to block “People’s Vote”
Almost 95,000 people have signed an online Government petition to stop a second Brexit referendum and “ensure democracy rules”.
The petition has been launched by Ronald Mitchell and comes after 700,000 people took to the streets of central London demanding a “People’s Vote”.
The petition, which has been signed by 94,345 people, said: “Although not legally binding the referendum on whether we stay of leave the EU carried out on the 23rd June 2016 was the clearest indicator of the will of the electorate.
“At that time our Prime Minister David Cameron assured us that the result of the referendum would be carried out.
“We must ensure democracy rules.”
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt wants a diplomatic shake-up
8.30am update: Hunt proposes post-Brexit diplomatic revamp
Some of Britain’s top diplomatic jobs are to be opened up to non-civil servants as part of a push to recruit “under-represented groups” as the UK revamps and expands its overseas operations.
With Brexit just five months away, Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt will use a speech on Wednesday to say “we must reinvigorate and expand British diplomacy”.
He will tell an audience at the Policy Exchange think tank that almost 1,000 new diplomatic jobs will be created, abroad and in the UK, and foreign language training widened.
It will include opening up some ambassador roles to external candidates, with Mr Hunt due to say: “The strength of our network is its professionalism, which has given us what I believe is the finest diplomatic service in the world.
“But we must never close our eyes to the approaches and skills of other industries.”
7.30am update: Workers face status checks under no-deal Brexit
Employers may have to check whether EU citizens have the right to work in the UK if there is a no-deal Brexit, according to immigration minister Caroline Nokes.
Ms Nokes said: “If somebody has been through the settled status scheme they would be able to evidence that.
“If somebody hasn’t been here prior to the end of March next year, employers will have to make sure they go through adequately rigorous checks to evidence somebody’s right to work.
“It would pose a challenge to government and indeed employers in differentiating between those two groups of people.”
The Government wants the 3.5 million EU citizens in Britain to apply for settled status so that they can continue to live and work here but that will not happen by the time Britain is due to leave the bloc next March.